These are the main reasons why we collect and use data about our users:
- To provide us with your email id if your piece gets accepted so that we can contact you for further comments and revisions
- To prevent spam.
- For security and legal reasons.
We think carefully about our use of personal data, and below you can find the details of what we do to protect your privacy. This policy covers, among other topics :
- Information about your rights and our obligations
- Clarity about our dealings with you and transparency about how we collect and use your personal data
- Commitments on how we protect your personal data
- Commitments on how we will facilitate your rights and respond to your questions.
We will continue to examine how we can provide more clarity to our users about our use of data.
Personal data is any information about you by which you can be identified. This can include information such as:
- your name;
- information about your device (such as the IP address, which is a numerical code to identify your device that can provide information about the country, region or city where you are based); and
- information relating how you use our websites, services.
What personal data we collect and how we use it
We collect personal data when you sign up for our services and when you browse our website. This information is used to provide analyse how visitors use our websites, what posts they choose to view or comment on.
The personal data we collect when your details for your submissions.
We use a contact form to log whereby you may choose to send us your submissions by email.
When you submit your details for the submission form we collect:
- your name
- your email address(es).
- your designation
- your occupation
- your IP address
- your files that you send
The email address and the files you send are collected so that we can send you comments if we accept your piece and want to send you comments for revisions.
We collect your name, designation, and occupation so that the same can be put on the journal if we choose your piece for publication.
We also use Google’s captcha services to prevent spam.
The IP address is collected for anti-spam, legal, and security purposes.
Viewing the website / Logging-in
This website uses Content Management System – WordPress. We also use use the services of Jetpack, a plug-in by Automattic which helps us analyse the viewership stats. The data collected includes:
- What search engine terms were used to search for our posts;
- Names, email address and blogs of those who have chosen to subscribe/follow our posts using WordPress;
- Which links are clicked by viewers;
- Views of posts on our website;
- IP address;
Search engine terms used and views of posts are collected to help us better the way we create our posts to reach more viewers. Links clicked are recorded to help us assess viewership trends (only the click is logged, we do not differentiate which IP address or account clicks a link). IP address of viewers of a post in this regard is logged to establish number of viewers of our posts to prevent inflation of post viewership.
The logging of names, email address and blogs of those who have chosen to subscribe and follow our posts using WordPress is required by the service provider – WordPress.
Your personal data is also collected for security and fraud prevention, and to ensure that our website is safe and secure.
Security of your personal data
We have implemented controls to protect your personal data against unauthorised processing and against accidental loss, damage or destruction. You are responsible for choosing a secure password when we ask you to set up a password to access parts of our website. You should keep this password confidential and you should choose a password that you do not use on any other site. You should not share your password with anyone else, including anyone who works for us. Unfortunately, sending information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data once with us, we cannot guarantee the security of any personal data sent to our website while your data is still in transit and so you provide it at your own risk.
Who we share your data with
We will not share your personal data with anyone else for their own marketing purposes unless we have your permission to do this.
Some of our webpages use social plug-ins from other organisations (such as the “Facebook Recommend” function, Twitter’s retweet function, Sharing on LinkedIN), etc. These other organisations may receive and use personal data about your visit our website. For more information on how these organisations use personal data, please read their privacy policies.
How long we keep your personal data
How we may contact you
If we receive a submission form, we will send you an email to respond to you for comments for revisions .
Cookies and similar technology
When you visit our website, we may collect personal data from you automatically using cookies or similar technology. A cookie is a small file that can be placed on your device that allows us to recognise and remember you.
Your rights with regard to the personal data that we hold about you
You can contact us with regard to the following rights in relation to your personal data:
- If you would like to have a copy of the personal data we hold on you or if you think that we hold incorrect personal data about you, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. We will deal with requests for copies of your personal data or for correction of your personal data within one month. If your request is complicated or if you have made a large number of requests, it may take us longer. We will let you know if we need longer than one month to respond. You will not have to pay a fee to obtain a copy of your personal data (or to exercise any of the other rights). However, we may charge a reasonable fee if your request is clearly unfounded, repetitive or excessive.
- Where you have provided us with consent to use your personal data, you can withdraw this at any time.
- You also have the right to ask us to delete your personal data or restrict how it is used. There may be exceptions to the right to erasure for specific legal reasons which, if applicable, we will set out for you in response to your request. Where applicable, you have the right to object to processing of your personal data for certain purposes.
How and when we collect personal data
We collect personal data when you:
- access our website, view our posts and pages, through cookies and other similar technology;
- provide your email to submit your manuscripts.
Why we use your personal data
We use your personal data for the following reasons:
- to understand our readers/viewers to help us reach more viewers;
- to accept or reject manuscripts and respond for comments, suggestions and revisions;
- to prevent spam;
- for security and fraud prevention;
- compliance with the law.